Contact us if you need help.
We'll make sure you get the help you need by directing you to specialist support services who can give you confidential and anonymous advice.
Support in a crisis (easy read)
Some of the support we offer or direct people to:
Depression, anxiety and mental health
Mind in Mid Herts – for better mental health
0330 320 8100
- Mental health support across Hertfordshire.
- NightLight crisis helpline – if you're experiencing a mental health crisis, you can call 01923 256391 every night, 7pm – 1am. A listening ear, emotional support, advice and information.
Herts Mind Network
0203 727 3600
- Complex needs and community support.
- Employment support services and training.
- Peer support.
- Mental health training and recovery focused courses.
- Crisis support.
Carers in Herts
- Bereavement support.
- Support hubs.
- Carers planning service.
- Events, development and training.
Healthy Hub East Herts
01279 655261 – ask to speak to Ric Maraia or Simon Barfoot
- Free advice and support about where you can get health, social and wellbeing support.
- Digital mental health and wellbeing support service.
- Accessible anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
- Safe, supportive community.
Hub of Hope
- A database of local, national, peer, community, charity, private and NHS mental health support and services.
0770 256 6667
- Inter-faith service.
- Mental health wellbeing service.
- Refugee support.
Action for Happiness
- A movement of people taking action to create a happier and kinder world, together.
- Podcasts, coaching, talks and groups.
Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Hertfordshire’s Children and Young People’s Mental Health Services (CYPMHS) system
- Go to Just Talk Herts for self-help tools, information and signposting to free services for children and young people’s mental health and emotional wellbeing that don’t need a professional referral, so young people, parents and carers can contact them directly at: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/youthmentalhealth.
- Shelter – got a housing problem? We can help. Understand your rights and get the support you need.
- Herts Young Homeless – focus on preventing homelessness.
- Haven First – supporting homeless people in Stevenage and North Hertfordshire.
Abuse and domestic abuse
Free school meals and school uniform
Free School Meals – check if you're eligible.
School uniform grants – speak to your child's school to see if they can help.
Anyone in Hertfordshire can get support from us, but we give priority to those who are most vulnerable. That includes people affected by domestic violence or with a life limiting illness.
You may only be able to access certain support once in a 3 month period. Tell us about your situation and we'll provide more information about the support available.
Apply for support in crisis form
Advice on benefits and debt
Hertfordshire Citizens Advice
Money advice factsheets
Turn2Us – benefits and grants information
Help to explain a problem or have your say
Advocates provide qualified, independent support for people who have difficulty understanding information and advice, or communicating their views.
Advocates can help if you:
- are finding it difficult to put your views across or don’t feel you're being listened to
- are struggling with an issue and feel you need help understanding the options available to you
- need support through the NHS Complaints process
- can't make a decision and need help deciding what's best for you.
Some services we can refer you to are:
Hertfordshire advocacy services are provided in partnership with specialist organisations, including:
Compassionate Neighbours are trained volunteers offering friendship and a listening ear to people living in their community. Compassionate Neighbours will visit you weekly and take you out if you wish, or just stay in and have a cup of tea and a chat. There is no charge.
Garden House Hospice – Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth, Baldock, Royston.
Isabel Hospice – Broxbourne, East Herts, Welwyn Hatfield.
Peace Hospice Care – Watford, Three Rivers, Hertsmere.
Need different support? Not sure what you're looking for? Still call us. We can help.