Housing Association Tenant?
If you use oil for heating you may benefit from CDA Herts Oil buying group
- Anglian Water offers tariffs for low-income households that can offer up to 50% discount on water and sewage usage
- Citizens Advice - For free and impartial advice on all aspects to support you through difficulty
- Money Saving Expert - advice on cutting your bills
- Visit Benefits.gov.uk to see how benefits work - includes eligibility, appeals, tax credits and universal credits
- Hertfordshire Money Advice service - Find reliable information and advice from Adult Care Services, our Money Advice Unit and other trusted sources on a range of subjects
Are you claiming all the allowances due to you?
Credit Unions in Hertfordshire
All Libraries in Hertfordshire are welcoming warm spaces available for anyone to come and use
Local supermarket cafes are a great place to warm up with a warm drink.
Technology to help you live independently at home
Meals on wheels - delivers meals on wheels and caring support to disabled, elderly, or vulnerable adults throughout Hertfordshire.
Older person waiting for surgery? - information to help you stay healthy while waiting to attend hospital.
Around a third of eligible pensioners don’t claim Pension Credit, often because they don't know they can or that they need to.
- Pension Credit tops up weekly income to a minimum level of £182.60 a week for single pensioners or £278.70 for couples. It is a tax-free payment for those who have reached State Pension age and live in Great Britain.
- Pension Credit calculator - Find out if you’re eligible and how much you could get or call 0800 99 1234.
Worrying about your finances can have an impact on your mental health, there is lots of support available to help you.
Speak to someone you trust
You may find it helpful to talk to your partner, a relative or a friend about your problems. If this is not possible, talk to someone else you can trust, like a faith leader or a tutor, or try a helpline.
Speak to your GP
To find a GP visit NHS website.
Talk to the Hertfordshire Wellbeing Service - offers free and confidential talking therapy and practical support for Hertfordshire residents experiencing a wide range of mental health problems such as: worry, low mood, insomnia and stress.
Get support from an organisation
During times of stress, addictive habits can start or worsen. Dependency on drugs or alcohol can take hold as a way of coping with the situations you may be facing. Gambling can feel like a way forward to help get you out of debt quickly but can quickly spiral.
Help is at hand.
Support with NHS treatments
If you have a low income, the NHS Low Income Scheme could help you pay for:
- NHS prescription charges
- NHS dental treatment charges
- the cost of sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
- the cost of travelling to receive NHS treatment
- NHS wigs and fabric supports (check with your hospital for their arrangements for supplying NHS wigs)
Help with Household Essentials
- Freecycle is a website where people can donate and receive free household items
- Similarly, Freegle is also an online community where free household items are on offer
Help for Businesses
- Business Debt Line - call 0800 197 6026. This is a sister company of the National Debtline, providing free debt advice for small business owners.
Help to combat Domestic Abuse
Unfortunately, we know that cases of domestic abuse increase in circumstances where there are worries around finances, debt, losing a job etc. If this is happening to you or a loved one, there is advice and support for you.
Here for you this winter
Hertfordshire County Council has an advice and support webpage helping residents navigate the rising cost of living and staying safe and healthy as temperatures drop.